Termination of Lease Agreement Wa

Termination of lease agreement WA: What you need to know

If you are a tenant in the state of Washington, you may be wondering about the process of terminating a lease agreement. Whether you are moving to a new location or have decided to break your lease for other reasons, there are certain steps you need to follow to ensure a smooth transition.

Review your lease agreement

One of the most important things to do before terminating your lease is to carefully review the terms of your agreement. This will give you an idea of what you are responsible for and what steps you need to take to end the lease. Make sure to pay close attention to any clauses or provisions regarding early termination, subletting, and notice periods.

Provide notice to your landlord

In Washington, tenants are required to provide a written notice to their landlord of their intent to terminate the lease. The amount of time you are required to give notice depends on the length of your lease agreement. For a month-to-month lease, you generally need to provide at least 20 days’ notice. For a lease of a year or longer, you typically need to provide at least 60 days’ notice.

Request a move-out inspection

Before you move out of your rental unit, you should request a move-out inspection from your landlord. This will give you an opportunity to identify any necessary repairs or cleaning tasks that need to be done before you leave. Your landlord may also document the condition of the rental unit at the time of the inspection.

Pay any outstanding charges

Before your lease can be terminated, you will need to make sure you have paid any outstanding charges owed to your landlord. This may include rent, utilities, or any fees for damages or other issues.

Return the keys

Make sure to return all keys to your landlord when you vacate the rental unit. This will prevent you from being charged for any lost or missing keys.

Breaking a lease agreement can be a complex process, but by following these steps you can ensure a smoother transition for both you and your landlord. If you have any questions or concerns, it is always a good idea to consult with a legal professional who can provide guidance on your specific situation.